Tuesday, January 23, 2007

OSCAR NOMINATIONS, BITCHES!


This is Beyonce, upon hearing that no, she was not nominated for an Oscar this morning.

Unfortunately for me, I am at WORK. So I didn't get to watch the nominations being read, instead, I got to listen to a bunch of assholes on the radio talking over the nominations and saying "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...NO ONE CARES" over all the nominations. I hate morning talk radio so much, why do I continue to listen to it?????? WHY????!!! Anywhooooo...Here are the nominees, along with my picks, which all y'all already know are superior to the picks of my co-bloggers, as I wasted both of them with my picks for the Golden Globes.

Best Picture
Babel
The Departed
Letters From Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen

Best movie of the year! However, Que shocking that Dreamgirls didn't get nominated, no? And if we are talking upsets, I am seriously shocked that more attention wasn't given to Children of Men. While the story was lacking a little, I thought it was more than made up for by the cinematography. Also, I guess I'm gonna have to see Little Miss Sunshine. Was it really that great?

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
Peter O’Toole, Venus
Will Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness
Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland

The black men will cancel each other out, and the other two are too young. I haven't seen Blood Diamond, either. Was that really that great? I'm surprised he wasn't nominated for The Departed. The Academy loves old, British people, so O'Toole will probably take this one.

Best Actress
Penelope Cruz, Volver
Judi Dench, Notes on a Scandal
Helen Mirren, The Queen
Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet, Little Children

This is a tough one. I would think that the old dames would cancel each other out. We all know how much everyone loooooooooves Meryl, I'm gonna go with the dark horse in this one and pick Penelope. People love Almodovar, and everyone other option seems so obvious. OH YEAH - Suck it, Beyonce.

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine
Jackie Earle Haley, Little Children
Dijmon Hinsou, Blood Diamond
Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Mark Wahlberg, The Departed

EEEEWWWWWWW - That creepy molester dude from Little Children??? REALLY? Is it because he played a creepy molester dude??? LAME. I hate nominations like that. I'm not saying he didn't do it well, but come on, was it really that great? Why does the academy always like the creepy molester? Little Miss Sunshine is really throwing me off in this category because I haven't seen it, but the comedys rarely win. I'm going with Mark Wahlberg again. I'm sorry, y'all, but I love him, and honestly think that he is one of the most underrated actors of our time. This is my "wish" pick, where, against my better judgement, I'm going with the one I want to win, rather than the one (Eddie Murphy?) I think is going to win.



Best Supporting Actress
Adriana Barraza, Babel
Cate Blanchett, Notes on a Scandal
Abigail Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Riko Kikuchi, Babel

I really hope Jennifer Hudson wins, and I think she might, despite being up against Cate Blanchett (who, lets be honest here, is her only competition). I think it's cute that the little girl from Little Miss Sunshine was nominated, although just because she is young does not make her exempt from my ridicule on the red carpet, so she best not show up lookin' like a ho. Babel...I really didn't go crazy for this like everyone else, am I alone on this??? Although, I do respect the nomination of Adriana Barraza (The nanny in the movie), but I don't respect the nomination of Riko Kikuchi (the crazy Japanese girl who gets nekkid), not only because I didn't think the crazy Japanese girl was that great, but because she looked a hot mess at the golden globes, and I'm not ready for that all over again.

Best Director
Clint Eastwood, Letters from Iwo Jima
Stephen Frears, The Queen
Paul Greengrass, United 93
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Babel
Martin Scorsese, The Departed

Fucker has never won. He's gonna win. The end.

I'll put the rest of my picks as a comment in this post, as a lot of you don't care, but I know some of you do! What are your picks? Post them in the comments!!! WHOOOOO! GO OSCARS!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give best actor to Ryan Gosling. Although I haven't seen Half Nelson I am sure it is a panty dropper. Ryan, make love to me (please)!!!

Girl #1 said...

Here are the rest of my picks:

Best Original Screenplay

Babel, Guillermo Arriaga
Letters from Iwo Jima, Iris Yamashita
Little Miss Sunshine, Michael Arndt
El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth), Guillermo del Toro
The Queen, Peter Morgan

I just think that The Queen might get overlooked in some categories, so I'm picking it to win here. I have not seen Pan's Labyrinth yet, but I think I'm going to check it out this weekend. Anyone seen it yet?

Best Adapted Screenplay

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, Sacha Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Peter Baynham, Dan Mazer, Todd Phillips

Children of Men, Alfonso Cuarón, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby

The Departed, William Monahan

Little Children, Todd Field, Tom Perrotta

Notes on a Scandal, Patrick Marber

I'm going out on a limb on this one too, but I don't think that the Academy is going to pull the whole "Hey! We're not just a bunch of old douchebags! We're hip! Look! We picked Borat!" that I'm so desperately hoping for. No, I think they will pick the movie about midlife crisis and failed marriage. This is a tough category though, we'll see what happens.

Best Cinematography
The Black Dahlia, Vilmos Zsigmond
Children of Men, Emmanuel Lubezki
The Illusionist, Dick Pope
Laberinto del Fauno, El, Guillermo Navarro
The Prestige, Wally Pfister

Children of Men would probably be number 2 on the list of my favorite movies of the year, if I actually was motivated enough to make a list of my favorite movies of the year. The only other one in the category that I've seen is The Prestige, which was aiight, but didn't really do it for me. Go see this movie if you haven't already.

Best Editing
Babel, Douglas Crise, Stephen Mirrione
Blood Diamond, Richard Chew, Steven Rosenblum
Children of Men, Alfonso Cuarón, Alex Rodríguez
The Departed, Thelma Schoonmaker
United 93, Clare Douglas, Richard Pearson, Christopher Rouse

If this movie succeeded for any reason, it was for its editing. I would be surprised if anything else won.

Best Art Direction

Dreamgirls
The Good Shepherd
Laberinto del Fauno, El
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
The Prestige

Dreamgirls will probably take this due to its snubs in other categories, but again, I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth and that does look pretty sweet, so we will see

Best Song

An Inconvenient Truth: Melissa Etheridge("I Need To Wake Up")
Dreamgirls: Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler, Anne Preven("Listen")
Dreamgirls: Henry Krieger, Siedah Garrett("Love You I Do")
Cars: Randy Newman("Our Town")
Dreamgirls: Henry Krieger, Willie Reale("Patience")

I'm picking this song because it was one of my favorites in the movie, and I'm hoping for yet another slap in the face to Beyonce. I swear to Christ, if fucking Randy Newman wins, I just may shoot someone. I hate him, and I especially hate that I have to see him and hear him every year at the Oscars. PIXAR - PICK SOMEONE NEW TO DO YOUR G.D. MUSIC.

And because I didn't see any of the foreign films nominated this year, not to mention any of the animated films, I think I'm done. Comment and tell me your thoughts! IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!

nichole said...

Hey, I demand you go see Little Miss Sunshine! It really is a great film! 'Nuf said...

M.Librarian said...

Wow! Newbery and Caldecott yesterday and Oscar noms today! Yay!

I want to see Little Children so bad. Are you listening gods of the MI movie theater community?

I'm so pissed that that little girl from Little Miss Sunshine got nominated that I want to scream. I think that movie was described best as being a full liength version of the Blind Melon "No Rain" video. Ew.

I'm a grinch. This is totally my favorite time of year.