Thursday, December 14, 2006

64th Golden Globe Nominations!

Hear ye! Hear ye! Witness the greatest acting of all 2006! My choices for winner are in bold:

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
· Ben Affleck, "Hollywoodland"
· Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"
· Jack Nicholson, "The Departed"
· Brad Pitt, "Babel"
· Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed"

I love Mark Wahlberg, and The Departed was one of the best movies to come from Scorsese, but more specifically, Hollywood in general, in a long time. I have not seen Dreamgirls, but that will not stop me from picking others from the movie to win in their categories. And, I have not seen Hollywoodland, but come on...Ben Affleck is not going to win.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
· Adriana Barraza, "Babel"
· Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"
· Emily Blunt, "The Devil Wears Prada"
· Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"
· Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel"

I'm really surprised that Babel is taking so many nominations. I saw that movie, and I really wasn't that impressed, especially compared to Alejandro González Iñárritu's other films, specifically Amores Perros. I think a lot of people will be skeptical that Jennifer Hudson will win, because it is her first role. But her performance has so much buzz, I really think she is the only front-runner in this category, unless the Hollywood Foreign Press wants to be lame and obvious, like usual, and pick Cate Blanchett. We will see.

Best Foreign Language Film
· "Volver"
· "Pan's Labyrinth"
· "Apocalypto"
· "Letters From Iwo Jima"

Haven't seen any of these yet. But two things struck me immediately. Letters from Iwo Jima is a foreign film? What the hell? News to me! And secondly, Hollywood Foreign Press, and the rest of Hollywood too, please get off Mel Gibson's cock. Seriously. This fucker should be forever banned from the public eye, and making movies period. How he continues to make movies is beyond me. I hope he shows up, and I hope he is tanked. I secretly hope he wins, and if so I definitely hope he makes a drunken ass of himself, again.

Best Animated Film
· "Cars"
· "Happy Feet"
· "Monster House"

Nope. Haven't seen any of the animated movies this year either. Happy Feet looks cute, and people seem to like it, so it gets my pick to win.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
· Babel
· Bobby
· The Departed
· Little Children
· The Queen

I keep picking The Departed, because if it doesn't win, I truly will give up on Hollywood. Ok...not true. But, there is a clear winner in this category, in my mind.

Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
· Borat
· The Devil Wears Prada
· Dreamgirls
· Little Miss Sunshine
· Thank You for Smoking

YESSSSSS! Although Borat will unfortunately lose to Dreamgirls, Borat was nominated for a Best Picture Golden Globe!!!!!!!! That rules. I wonder if Sasha Baron Cohen will go as himself, or Borat. I think he'll go as himself, because if I was his wifey-to-be, I'd be pissed if I couldn't go to the Golden Globes because my fiancé was going to be Borat, AGAIN. Do it for the lady, Sasha.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
· Leonardo DiCaprio - "Blood Diamond"
· Leonardo DiCaprio - "The Departed"
· Peter O'Toole - "Venus"
· Will Smith - "The Pursuit of Happyness"
· Forest Whitaker - "The Last King of Scotland"

I don't even know what Venus is. Never heard of it...ever. Not even a little bit. But here's how this one will go down. Leo will split his own vote. Will Smith and Forest Whitaker will split the "token black person" vote. Which leaves us with Peter O'Toole, who would probably win anyway, because these old Foreign Press folk love them some O'Toole.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
· Penelope Cruz - "Volver"
· Judi Dench - "Notes on a Scandal"
· Maggie Gyllenhaal - "Sherry Baby"
· Helen Mirren - "The Queen"
· Kate Winslet- "Little Children"

This is a tough one. Normally, I would say that Dench, Mirren, and Winslet would split their token British person vote, but there has been so much talk about Helen Mirren that I think she is a shoe in. Plus she is playing the ultimate British woman. I can't wait to see Volver, and Sherry Baby.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
· Sasha Baron Cohen - "Borat"
· Johnny Depp - "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"
· Aaron Eckhart - "Thank You for Smoking"
· Chiwetel Ejiofor - "Kinky Boots"
· Will Ferrell- "Stranger Than Fiction"

This is why I always lose my Oscar pools. I usually am pretty good with sticking to who I think the Academy, or Foreign Press, would pick...but I always slip in one that I just really really REALLY want to win. Maybe he has a chance?

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
· Annette Bening - "Running with Scissors"
· Toni Collette - "Little Miss Sunshine"
· Beyonce Knowles - "Dreamgirls"
· Meryl Streep - "The Devil Wears Prada"
· Renee Zellweger - "Miss Potter"

First, we finally can see how far Matthew and Tina Knowles can really reach. Beyonce????? Really??? I mean, I haven't seen it, and I'm sure she's good. But the only thing I've heard is how it doesn't compare to Jennifer Hudson. Oh well, she won't win so it doesn't really matter. Will Annette Bening win, since her husband, Warren Beatty, is getting the Cecil B. Demile award? I don't know...she just won in 2004, so maybe it is too soon for Annette Bening. I think they are gonna stick to the usual, and give Meryl Streep yet another award to add to her growing army of little gold men with little gold balls.

Best Director - Motion Picture
· Clint Eastwood - "Flags of our Fathers"
· Clint Eastwood - "Letters From Iwo Jima"
· Stephen Frears - "The Queen"
· Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - "Babel"
· Martin Scorsese - "The Departed"

The Departed is sweet.

Best Television Series - Drama
· 24
· Big Love
· Grey's Anatomy
· Heroes
· Lost

24 always wins, with the exception of last year. Lost wasn't as much of a hit, so I'm praying that 24 will beat out Grey's simply because I really really hate Grey's Anatomy. And I have to apologize to The Gay, and all gays I guess while I'm at it...Apparently my sweeping statement that "Only gays watch Heroes" was incorrect. Apparently the Hollywood Foreign Press watches it too...unless they are all gay. In that case, please strike my apology from the record.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
· Patricia Arquette - "Medium"
· Edie Falco - "The Sopranos"
· Evangeline Lilly - "Lost"
· Ellen Pompeo - "Grey's Anatomy"
· Kyra Sedgwick - "The Closer"

EWWWWWW - I kinda hate all of these. Most of all, because I think Ellen Pompeo's stupid face is going to win. I'm gonna pick Kyra Sedgwick and hope that I don't have to see Ellen Pompeo's squinty face on my TV accepting her award. Man...Renee Zellwegger is going to be at the awards too! That's two too many squinty faces at an awards show for me.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
· Patrick Dempsey - "Grey's Anatomy"
· Michael C. Hall - "Dexter"
· Hugh Laurie - "House"
· Bill Paxton - "Big Love"
· Kiefer Sutherland - "24"

I am happy to see both Bill Paxton and Michael C. Hall nominated. Patrick "Dr. McNotReallyThatSteamyIGuessIDon'tGetWhatTheAttractionIs" Dempsey will probably win, as I fear that this will be the year for Grey's at the Golden Globes. I'll take Kiefer Sutherland for the block, please.

Best Television Series - Comedy or Musical
· Desperate Housewives
· Entourage
· The Office
· Ugly Betty
· Weeds

I was hesitant to watch the American version of The Office for a long time, as I loved the British version oh so much. If you are still on the same fence, let me say this. GET OFF THE FENCE. GET OFF THE GOD BLESSIN' FENCE! The American version rules equally as much as the British version.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Comedy
· Marcia Cross - "Desperate Housewives"
· America Ferrera - "Ugly Betty"
· Felicity Huffman - "Desperate Housewives"
· Julia Louis-Dreyfus- "The New Adventures of Old Christine"
· Mary-Louise Parker - "Weeds"

Ok. She's not gonna win. But I really don't care who wins in this category...so I know it's a little early (depending on when you're reading this), but I'm just gonna go ahead and GO NUTS! WHOOOOO! FEELS GOOD TO VOTE FOR AMERICA! *ahem* That is all.

And Finally:

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Comedy
· Alec Baldwin - "30 Rock"
· Zach Braff - "Scrubs"
· Steve Carrell - "The Office"
· Jason Lee - "My Name is Earl"
· Tony Shalhoub -"Monk"

30 Rock is a really funny show, and Alec Baldwin is great in it. You should watch this show. Scrubs is an insanely brilliant show, and while I generally think that Zach Braff is an A-#1-Douchebag, he's good in the show. However, I think Scrubs should win some sort of ensemble, or I don't know...get nominated for Best Comedy??? It really is the entire cast that makes that show so great. If I have to see MUTHAFUCKIN TONY SHALHOUB win YET ANOTHER Golden Globe for some shitty show that is on USA...USA FOR GOD'S SAKE...I just may have a breakdown. Yes, that is how much I invest in award shows. I will have a nervous breakdown in Tony Shalhoub wins again. Take heed, Hollywood Foreign Press.

Thanks for sticking around for this ridiculously long post, friends! What are your thoughts? Please comment, as I love award season so, and want to share it with each and every one of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think you are the closest, but still very wrong. ya'll suck